As of July 1, Tennessee law TCA 39-17-1309 allows generally all UT full-time employees with a valid handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun on UT property.
- Full-time employees who are enrolled in a class or classes at the university may not carry a concealed handgun on UT property.
- Full-time employees are prohibited from carrying a concealed weapon into meetings about tenure and employee discipline.
- Full-time employees may not carry a handgun into any stadium, arena, or auditorium when university-sponsored events are underway. Other prohibited locations are hospitals and offices where medical and mental health services are the primary services provided: Student Health Center, Veterinary Medical Center, Early Learning Center, and the speech and hearing clinics.
Full-time employees who work in the Knoxville area and intend to carry a concealed handgun on UT property in the Knoxville area are required to come to UTPD to notify police of their intent by completing paperwork in the presence of a sworn officer.
Applicants must bring their:
- Faculty/staff identification card
- Valid Tennessee driver’s license
- Valid Tennessee handgun permit
View the map of prohibited locations.*
*Please note that this map may not be up to date. It is the responsibility of the employee to know the prohibited and restricted carry areas based on TCA 39-17-1309 and UT Policy.
UTPD Firearms on Campus Course Schedule
UTPD provides voluntary training concerning firearm safety and firearms on UT Campus. The classes are held at UTPD quarterly and are free to attend. In order to sign-up for the class please send an e-mail to Corporal John Platt.
- Monday, June 11th, 10:00am – 10:30am
- Wednesday, September 19th, 5:30pm – 6:00pm
- Monday, November 5th, 10:00am – 10:30am