Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

UT Upgrades VolCard, Access Control to Improve Physical Security on Campus

The university is upgrading VolCards and the way buildings are electronically secured to improve physical security on campus.

All buildings are in the process of receiving access control upgrades. Here’s a look at the changes and how they affect you:


VolCard identification cards have been updated and are now vertically printed. These updated VolCards are compatible with upgraded card readers on buildings around campus. If you have any other VolCard versions they are now considered old and must be turned in to the university. To update your card, visit the Vol Card Office.

You can now add your VolCard to your smartphone and use your mobile device as your credential. Instructions are available online on how to add your VolCard to your iPhone Apple Wallet or Apple Watch.

Android mobile credential capability is coming soon.

Building Access Control Upgrades:

Physical keys will be discontinued for the majority of users where you can use your VolCard for entry. Core locks on buildings will be changed. Outdated keys must be turned in to the university Key Shop. Changes will be made to door hardware and door operation devices.

You should not attempt to use a key to unlock or lock a door that is electronically controlled. The doors will be locked or unlocked electronically by schedule or by VolCard activation.

If your VolCard is lost or stolen, you must report it to the VolCard Office. You must also report it to Central Alarm 865-974-0808 so it can be deactivated to prevent an unauthorized person from using it.

Did you know?

A physical key being used on doors where you should use your VolCard causes alarms that are reported to the UT Police Department.

If you leave a door propped, you cause an alarm that is reported to the UT Police Department.

You should familiarize yourself with the safety and security measures at UT. They include:

  • How to lock your area in the event of an emergency.
  • Barricade Switches must only be used in the event of an emergency to secure your area.
  • How to use your VolCard on designated spaces to unlock and lock the doors for use.

Problems or Need Assistance?

If you have problems with your access to buildings or need assistance with card readers, electronic security or alarm monitoring, resources are available to you.

To request access for a specific building or space, visit

To create a Facilities work order for a reported issue, use the ARCHIBUS submission form.

If you need an immediate response for a door that is not opening or locking, you must call 865-946-7777 and speak with a Facilities Services representative.

UT Central Alarm is responsible for monitoring the university’s alarm systems. For issues related to basic building access, schedule confirmations and alarm issues, contact Central Alarm at or 865-974-0808.

UT Electronic Security is responsible for administrative functions of the university’s access control, video surveillance, and alarm monitoring. Contact Electronic Security at